Pumpkin and Melon Salad (Easy Salad from Scratch)
I love the beginning of fall when bright, sunny days meet the cooling temperatures of the upcoming winter. Sunshine and sweaters is what this salad is all about.
In this salad, fresh citrus, melon, and avocado bring out the lighter side of pumpkin.
Its refreshing flavor is a nice change from heavier dishes often found on the fall table. An excellent salad for Thanksgiving dinner.
This recipe is taken from Easy Pumpkin Recipes: There’s More to Pumpkin than Pumpkin Pie! (Easy Recipes from Scratch).
Steamed pumpkin, fresh oranges, melon, and avocado make for a refreshing side salad on a sunny fall day.
- 1 avocado
- 1 small cantaloupe or other melon
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced in rings
- 2 oranges, segmented
- 1 cup cubed pumpkin, steamed
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chopped fresh mint
- mint sprigs, to garnish
- Peel and slice the avocado. Peel and slice the melon. Place the avocado and melon in a serving bowl.
- Squeeze a lemon half over the avocado and melon. Stir to coat.
- Add the cooked pumpkin cubes, orange segments, and onion rings.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, agave nectar or honey, with the chili flakes, olive oil, and mint. Shake well.
- Before serving, toss the salad dressing over the pumpkin-fruit mixture. Serve as is or on a bed of crispy romaine lettuce.
Try these variations:
1. Substitute grapefruit segments for the oranges.
2. Substitute honeydew for cantaloupe.
3. Add 1/4 cup hemp seeds or toasted pumpkin seeds for a protein boost and a nutty texture.
4. Go Canadian by substituting maple syrup for the agave nectar or honey.
This recipe is taken from Easy Pumpkin Recipes: There's More to Pumpkin than Pumpkin Pie! (Easy Recipes from Scratch).
Trackback from your site.